[Zbrafish] rescuing a known mutation

v.vanheyningen from hgu.mrc.ac.uk via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by v.vanheyningen from hgu.mrc.ac.uk)
Mon Dec 10 18:36:58 EST 2007

I would very much like to hear from anyone who has had difficulty in
rescuing missense mutations with mRNA injection.  We have such a
situation because our gene is highly dosage sensitive (a fact well-
established in mouse and humans) so that injecting even tiny amounts
of wild type message leads to a worsening of phenotype.  Similarly a
deleterious phenotype is seen when wild type embryos are injected with
10 pg of capped mRNA.  Interestingly we get a milder phenotype when 10
pg of mutant message is injected.  The paper is under review and
resubmission, but because one reviewer is very harsh about this
failure to correct the mutant phenotype, I would like to hear about
any other such cases, if they are known to the community.  If any such
information has been published then we would be even happier to hear.
Many thanks
Veronica van Heyningen