[Zbrafish] Zebrafish facility paint

Bill Trevarrow via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by trevarro from uoneuro.uoregon.edu)
Wed Dec 12 18:29:41 EST 2007

Hi Judy,

Depending upon the way things are run there and
the kind of paint involved, yes you should worry
about the paint fumes affecting your fish.
This could also be a health problem for people in the room.

However if your tanks are aerated and covered,
and the source of air is in a separate fume free
location, than you would be able to paint in a
room without exposing the fish to the fumes.
On the other hand, if you don't paint in the fish
room but produce paint fumes in the location of
the tank aerating  air source is, your fish may
be strongly affected.

I have no knowledge of or experience with Kilz
paint, but we are even concerned about latex
paint.

There have been cases where exposure to fumes has
caused fish to be non-reproductive for several
months.

We recently had a paint fume exposure from a next
door construction site cause a couple of people
in our fish to get sick and go home. Any paint
container should list human health hazards. You
should also be able to get their MSDS's before
buying the paint.

>>Hi All-
>>
>>We are experiencing a problem with mold growth
>>on a cold-exterior wall in one of our fish
>>facilities.  The warm temps and high humidity
>>in the room cause a lot of condensation on the
>>wall and it's become a haven for mold.
>>
>>It's going to be a tricky problem to remedy,
>>but one thing we're looking into are mold
>>resistant paints (i.e. Kilz).  Has anyone had
>>any similar issues, or used a specific brand of
>>paint?  Should we worry about the fumes
>>affecting the water/fish?
>>
>>Thanks for your help,
>>Judy Bennett
>>UMass Amherst

Bill

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
. , . .·´¯`·.. ><)))º>
  ><>   <><   ><>   <><   ><>   <><   ><>   <><

Bill Trevarrow
Zebrafish Facility Director
Institute of Neuroscience
University of Oregon 1254
Eugene, OR 97403-1254
Off. Tel: (541) 346-4598
Fac. Tel: (541) 346-4512
Fac. Website: http://fish.uoregon.edu/zf/uo/
Fax: (541) 346-4548
e-mail: trevarro from uoneuro.uoregon.edu