[Zbrafish] Collecting embryos from AHAB photoperiod tanks

jason.cockington At gmail.com via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by jason.cockington At gmail.com)
Thu Jan 4 22:55:49 EST 2007

Hi all,

just out of curiousity, how do people collect embryos out of their AHAB
photoperiod tanks??

I just ask, because since we upgraded from our old, home made system,
to our new AHAB unit, we have been finding collection a fiddlly
process.

We place a tray about 5cm deep with marbles in it (2 marbles deep)

This works fine, except, when we go to get the trays out of the tanks,
the fish either swim into the marbles and get trapped, or there will be
some kamakazi fish who jump out of the tank entirely.

i am just curious to hear if anyone else has come across a similar
thing, and if you have, how you went about minimizing hassle.

one possible solution i thought of was getting some slime line trays,
that would hold 2 layers of marbles but no deeper, thus decreasing the
space restriction.