[Zbrafish] Re: Collecting embryos from AHAB photoperiod tanks

Burdine, Rebecca D via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by rburdine At Princeton.EDU)
Mon Jan 8 12:32:04 EST 2007

Hi everyone,

We've been contemplating making devices such as the ones you are
describing.  Would you be willing to send a picture of your collecting
device for the AHAB or Marine Biotech tanks?

Rebecca D. Burdine, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Dept. of Molecular Biology
Princeton University
Washington Road Mof 433
Princeton, NJ 08544
Phone: (609) 258-7515
Fax: (609) 258-1343
Email: rburdine At princeton.edu
Admin Assistant: Cathy Falk (609) 258-1604
-----Original Message-----
From: zbrafish-bounces At oat.bio.indiana.edu
[mailto:zbrafish-bounces At oat.bio.indiana.edu] On Behalf Of Cheuk-Chung
Tony Ho
Sent: Sunday, January 07, 2007 10:07 PM
To: bionet-organisms-zebrafish At moderators.isc.org
Subject: [Zbrafish] Re: Collecting embryos from AHAB photoperiod tanks

I wonder what size is the AHAB tank you are using? My insitution uses
the Marine Biotech Z-mod, which is slightly different from the AHAB. I
think the most difficult part is the space limitation in these systems,
I have seen others having a easier time with collection using
stand-alone 30 liters tanks. Anyhow, I will shared my experience and
see if anyone have a better way of doing this.

I use 4 liters tanks to house three mating pairs and I submerges a
small collection device (size about 2" x 3" x2") with a hotizontal
screen to collect embryos. the collection device sits about 1"-2" below
the surface of water. For colection in the morning, I placed a cover
over the collection device and take it out of the water carefully.

Advise Welcome.

jason.cockington At gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all,
> just out of curiousity, how do people collect embryos out of their
> photoperiod tanks??
> I just ask, because since we upgraded from our old, home made system,
> to our new AHAB unit, we have been finding collection a fiddlly
> process.
> We place a tray about 5cm deep with marbles in it (2 marbles deep)
> This works fine, except, when we go to get the trays out of the tanks,
> the fish either swim into the marbles and get trapped, or there will
> some kamakazi fish who jump out of the tank entirely.
> i am just curious to hear if anyone else has come across a similar
> thing, and if you have, how you went about minimizing hassle.
> one possible solution i thought of was getting some slime line trays,
> that would hold 2 layers of marbles but no deeper, thus decreasing the
> space restriction.

Zbrafish mailing list
Zbrafish At net.bio.net