[Zbrafish] Looking for a transparent zebrafish strain...

Lasse via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by lasse At scienceshow.dk)
Thu Jan 11 14:09:01 EST 2007

Hello everybody.

I have seen in some old publications that there once was a transparent
zebrafish strain, originating from the Streissinger Lab, called tra
(for transparent). The description of the phenotype is however quite
vague. It is said to have the appearance of a transparent body and huge
black eyes. It should be fully viable and probably fertile.

I was hoping some of you may have some fish of this strain and can tell
me a little bit more about it. I will especially appreciate information
about the level of transparency (can one for example see the spine
clearly through the body?) the fertility (can they be bred just as
easily as normal zebrafish) and if the huge eyes has any influence on
the percepted stress by the fish (ie if the fish is blind it may not be
possible to chase-stress it).

I really hope someone on this forum can help me!! Thanks a million in
advance!!!

Best regards: -Lasse