[Zbrafish] Looking for a transparent zebrafish strain...

Christian Lawrence via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by clawrence At rics.bwh.harvard.edu)
Thu Jan 11 20:55:48 EST 2007

Lasse -
I know nothing about this tra fish, but we have a transparent line called
ruby.  It is a double mutant, homozygous for both roy (no iridophores) and
albino, so it only functionally expresses the xanthophores and is largely
transparent.  They are a bit more difficult to raise than albino (they don't
see as well and do best with dense infusoria early through metamorphosis),
but once you get them to the juvenile stage, they are relatively  normal  in
terms of their husbandry requirements.  They must be raised with other
rubies only; wild-types, roys, and albino will all outcompete them during
rapid growth phase and maturation. Nearly impossible to raise if your larval
rearing protocols are not good.  Adults breed normally and can be kept with
wt with no adverse effects.

The roy fish are also mostly transparent, with the notable exception of the
eyes (with functional melanocytes and no expressing iridophores, the eyes
are black, hence the name ROY Orbison).  If you are looking at other
structures, however, they may be suitable.  They are very easy to rear (read
= even poorly designed/executed larval rearing protocols will work). Again,
these fish are virtually the same as wild-type in terms of their husbandry,
although they will be outcompeted if reared together with wt (prior to
sexual maturity).   Once they are adults, they can be kept with wt, and they
(at least our fish) are prodigious spawners.

I don't believe either roy or ruby is available from ZIRC, but we can send
you roys if you wish.

Good luck,
Chris

--