[Zbrafish] Re: Request: zebrafish inbred line

Jean-Pierre Levraud via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by jlevraud from pasteur.fr)
Mon Mar 26 07:44:51 EST 2007

Hello Marlies,

As far as I know, there is no true inbred zebrafish line at the
moment
(if there is, we would also be quite interested to learn about it !).
Even the "really inbred" generated by gynogenesis or androgenesis had
be crossed to other lines to be maintained.
Currently a very good reference about this topic is the following
paper:
V. Guryev et al. "Genetic variation in the zebrafish", Genome
Research
16:491-407 (2006).

As we also use zebrafish as a model for immunology, we tried to
generate
our own zebrafish inbred lines by standard brother-sister matings. As
expected,
we had to drop quite a few lines after some crosses because of squewed
sex
ratios or  loss of fertility.
However, we now have a few lines that have reached the 7th or 8th
generation.
They are not vigorous breeders and most of them have some problems
(females tending to be egg-bound very early or lots of abnormal
embryos).
But they keep going, and at least one is fairly OK.
When they reach the tenth generation, we will make a careful
evaluation of
the remaining genetic diversity since genetic contamination is always
be suspected. Then, they should at last be usable!

:@)
Jean-Pierre
Jean-Pierre LEVRAUD
Unité Macrophages et Développement de l'Immunité
Institut Pasteur
25, rue du Dr Roux
75724 Paris cedex 15
tel (33) 1 44 38 95 29