[Zbrafish] Graduate student hands-on lab

Thomas Bartman via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by thomas.bartman from cchmc.org)
Wed Oct 24 10:30:23 EST 2007

I've been asked to run a one-hour "hands-on" lab to introduce first
year graduate students to the zebrafish model system.  There will be
about 16 students, and I can scrape together quite a few
microscopes.  However, I'm having trouble thinking of anything that
is "hands-on" that will occupy them for that long, but not much
longer.  For example, just having them look at embryos would only be
interesting for a fwe minutes, but it's not like I can have them do
an in situ either!

Things I've thought of are to mix embryos of 2-3 different stages
into one dish and ask them to sort them out, or to mix WT and mutant
embryos and do the same.  Does anyone else have creative ideas that
would expose them to zebrafish and keep their interest?

Thanks,

Tom

Thomas Bartman, M.D., Ph.D.
Divisions of Neonatology, Pulmonary Biology, and Developmental Biology
Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center
3333 Burnet Ave, MLC 7009
Cincinnati, OH  45229-3039

Office: 513-636-9902