[Zbrafish] Request information for the Zebrafish breeding tanks

David G. White via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by dgw5079 from u.washington.edu)
Tue Sep 11 13:10:29 EST 2007

We have had good results with filling a 2.0 L spawning tanks ~1/2 full and tipping the cages up to create a gradient. Even if you set up a spawning trap in the traditional fashion, flat and have no success with in the first hour you can still tip your tank and often see immediate results. We use 2.0 L Techniplast and Thoren Caging Udell traps. All 2-piece traps are basically the same in function. Our first criteria for traps are durability, and that depends on what the traps are made of and how they are cleaned. Size might be a consideration given whether your working with pair-wise or mass crosses, 2.0 L works fine for both. Being able to store them in an efficient manner is important too.

David G White
Research Coordinator
H225 Zebrafish Lab
University of Washington