[Zbrafish] Re: Breeding zebrafish

David G. White via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by dgw5079 from u.washington.edu)
Tue Apr 15 14:44:34 EST 2008

Make sure they are being fed a proper diet, we use small salmon feed and artemia (there should always be at least two types of feed). Your temperature should not be a problem, but I would adjust it down to 28c if you can. With a pH that can reach 7.6 and a slightly high temperature I would check your toxic ammonia and nitrite levels or if applicable remove some coral from the system you might have some hard water. In a normal functioning water recirculating system you should have to "fight" to keep the pH just above 7.0. Optimal breeding age is 6 months to 1.5 years. If you have had a normal operating system before where the fish breeding was good look to see what is different now. Water quality, feed, breeding techniques, age, health of the fish. In general, check your environment for what is different.

David G White
Research Coordinator
H225 Zebrafish Lab
University of Washington