[Zbrafish] Suggestions for fish room entry-ways

Lawrence, Christian via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by Christian.Lawrence from childrens.harvard.edu)
Tue Apr 15 15:10:18 EST 2008

Seems to me that the easiest solution would be dedicated shoes.  Rubber clogs like anywears or crocs work well.  You can set up an area to make the swap just outside or inside the room, utilizing a tacky mat to help cut dirt down at the entrance.

----- Original Message -----
From: zbrafish-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu <zbrafish-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu>
To: bionet-organisms-zebrafish from moderators.isc.org <bionet-organisms-zebrafish from moderators.isc.org>
Sent: Tue Apr 15 14:31:57 2008
Subject: [Zbrafish] Suggestions for fish room entry-ways

I'm throwing this out to the Internet to see if anyone has any unusual
solutions to this problem. I'm trying to come up with an alternative
to the traditional foot baths and tacky-mats to be used at the entry
points to a zebrafish room. I'm stuck with the following restrictions:

1) Foot baths are out of the question due to "investigator dislike"
2) The doors to the fish room open into the room and will have door
sweeps flush with the floor (making it impossible to set something on
the floor just inside the doors)
3) The exterior hallway is a shared hallway that will have lots of non-
aquatics personnel.

If anyone has any ideas other than shoe covers for reducing the
likelihood of unwanted material being carried in on people's shoes,
I'd love to hear them!