[Zbrafish] Zebrafish Age / Size Variations

Oliver Braubach via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by braubach from dal.ca)
Thu Aug 7 14:02:16 EST 2008

Dear All.

I have been working on aspects of postembryonic development in the
zebrafish brain, and have been trying to determine a standard method
for 'aging' zebrafish. As many of you may be aware, the development of
individual fish varies greatly during the first month of development,
which ultimately leads to very noticeable differences in the size of
individual fish and their organs.

Thus, age does not accurately characterize developmental stages of
fish, and I have been trying to determine if there's another standard
method to do so. Has anyone tried to correlate body length to fish
age? Are there any citations for expected / optimal size of fish are a
certain age?

Any input regarding this problem would be greatly appreciated.
Best,

Oliver Braubach
Department of Physiology and Biophysics
Dalhousie University