[Zbrafish] IACUC help

David G. White via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by dgw5079 from u.washington.edu)
Wed Dec 10 19:21:53 EST 2008

Is this a ABSL1 lab? I would think your IACUC would be happy to just know your tracking your fish i.e. population and mortality. Anything above a ABSL1 lab perhaps. Your institute needs a aquatic veterinarian to combat the mammals.

As for your example I would say that zebra fish are aggressive spawners particularly males. In order to divide a "alpha" males attention it is often necessary to spawn them with other fish, females and other males (if need be). This also supports the social structure of the fish. An aggressive male fish can kill a female on a pair-wise cross, thank goodness for dividers. Have them come in to your lab just after lights on and have them watch some fish spawning or tape it for them.

Harem breeding is very common in the zebra fish world and safe.

David G White
Research Coordinator
H225 Zebrafish Lab
University of Washington