[Zbrafish] Re: seasonal mortality?

Burdine, Rebecca D via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by rburdine from Princeton.EDU)
Thu Dec 11 09:48:58 EST 2008

Our system is purely RO and we aren't seeing this seasonal issue.  I would suggest checking on two things.  First, when does the RO system get serviced?  Is there a connection between servicing and your seasonal issue?  Second are you monitoring room temp?  Our facility is in an older building and it takes forever for the temperature to even itself out, even in temp maintained rooms.  Is it possible that you are having a severe temp spike (up or down) in the fall?

Becky

Rebecca D. Burdine, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Dept. of Molecular Biology
Princeton University
Washington Road Mof 433
Princeton, NJ 08544

Phone: (609) 258-7515
Fax: (609) 258-1343
Email: rburdine from princeton.edu
Admin Assistant: Cathy Falk (609) 258-1604

________________________________

From: zbrafish-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu on behalf of David G. White
Sent: Wed 12/10/2008 6:57 PM
To: Jocelyn
Cc: bionet-organisms-zebrafish from moderators.isc.org
Subject: Re: [Zbrafish] Re: seasonal mortality?

Hello, if your on a purely RO water supply I would guess not. That system would just have a higher reject volume, water not passing through the membrane. You might notice this if your RO pressure or volume is lower than normal, unless you have ample capacity. With a purely DI system yes, it does not reject water and only removes ions in the water. Water will pass through the resin of a DI system regardless of quality (even if the resin is spent). DI is more common then RO water in my experience.

Sounds like you are on a centralized system. I would contact whomever services the system. It might require more frequent maintenance during the fall, carbon filters, resin or membranes.

David G White
Research Coordinator
H225 Zebrafish Lab
University of Washington