[Zbrafish] Feeding C. elegans to Zebrafish?

Bill Trevarrow via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by trevarro from uoneuro.uoregon.edu)
Fri Jan 25 14:41:18 EST 2008

Hi Shizuka,

Like David has said microwrms, Walter worms, and
vinegar eels  are frequently used by hobbyists.
My understanding is they are in different but
related genera.
I have used both microworms and vinegar eels, to
feed larval and small juvenile Zfish.
Larger fish will also eat them but they will not
be getting as great a nutritional component per
bite as they would with larger foods.

Before using microworms and vinegar eels, I tried
growing some C.elegans I obtained from a lab. I
did not have the methods to grow the C. elegans
in sufficient quantities to be useful, but if you
are able to get sufficient quantities of C.
elegans I would expect them to work as well as
the microworms. The microworms and vinegar eels
can be cultured and collected in gram quantities.
I suspect that there are ways to do this with
C.elegans that I am not aware of. Large scale
microworm culturing methods might work with C.
elegans. Here is a link to a method that has work
well for me:
http://zfin.org/zf_info/zfbook/chapt3/3.8.html

I like the vinegar eels better than the
microworms because they are aquatic animals
(unlike the microworms). They would swim up in
the water column, making them a more appealing
prey item and they would stay alive for a week.
The microworms would squirm around on the tank
bottom and die in a few hours.

You might be able to make a floating mesh worm
feeder, from which the worms would slowly work
their way out of and fall to the bottom,
presenting themselves as a more obvious prey item
in the process.

Hello Shizuka

Aquarium hobbyists use microworms, Walter worms and vinegar eels as live
food for feeding fry.  I would assume C elegans would be very similar to
these nematodes as food item.

Best Fishes
David Lains <}}}><
Aquaculturist, Research Assistant