[Zbrafish] IACUC approval for commercial vendors

DSA via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by danyadams from comcast.net)
Fri Jun 20 09:58:46 EST 2008

Hi all, especially those of you with insight into veterinarians.

I have an approved protocol to work with fish embryos; my
"colony" (school ?) of fish consists of two ten gallon tanks with
filters etc, about 20 fish, and it is in my lab, not the animal
quarters.  In that protocol I listed ZIRC as the source of the
adults.  I have found, however, that my local Petco sells perfectly
healthy fish for about $1 each, and shopping there has the advantage
that I can pick out big fat females and good looking males, and I
don't have to buy in pairs.

Here's the but - Petco is not an "approved vendor" and the vet on my
IACUC committee (on which, by the way, I serve as the fish & amphibian
expert) has put a hold on my purchasing of new fish until I can get
some kind of health certificate.

Has anyone figured out a workaround for this problem ?  I'm trying to
get in contact with the store manager, but it's a Petco for pete's
sake - what is the likelihood that they will have the kind of
documentation needed for an IACUC committee composed almost entirely
of mouse people ?

Does anyone else just use pet store wildtypes ?  Am I making a huge
mistake by doing that ?  (I don't do any genetics, so I don't need
lines).

Any wisdom or practical advice will be very welcome.