[Zbrafish] Cabinet Question continued.

Austin Bailey via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by austin from rowellbrokaw.com)
Wed Mar 5 11:05:35 EST 2008

Rebecca,

I've never heard of phenolic resin breaking down or having any
adverse reactions in a laboratory setting.  Its really what they're
made for.  What I'd be more concerned with is the cabinet hardware
and detailing which varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.  I've
seen products out on the market that have plastic casework but fairly
cheap steel hinges and drawer tracks.  Find out what sort of
protection the company is using for these components.  They may be
powdercoating these components or using higher grade steel.  The
cabinet is only as good as its weakest component.  Sure, the
countertop will be the most important.  But although these cabinets
are intended for laboratory use, most have not been tested under
extreme "wet" conditions.  And it may not just be filtered tap
water.  It may be system water with a higher salinity or it could
even be brine from the brine shrimp hatchers.  Take a look at the
drip edges of the countertop.  This is especially important if the
hardware for the cabinets is less than optimal.  If the countertop
has no drip (meaning that water can runoff the edge of the counter
and wick back directly into the cabinet - possibly reaching the
hardware) you may want to talk to the company about adding a drip or
have your own facilities people do this for you.  It'll keep water
either on the counter or the floor and out of the cabinets.

Take a look at those items.  If you've found a great deal on plastic
cabinets, it sounds like a good way to go.  Just be aware of the
issues above, so you won't be surprised down the line.

Austin

Austin Bailey
Rowell Brokaw Architects, PC
1 East Broadway, Suite 300