[Zbrafish] Albino Zebrafish

Burdine, Rebecca D via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by rburdine from Princeton.EDU)
Tue Nov 4 13:48:29 EST 2008

Hi,

If you want to inhibit most of the melanin, we put embryos into the PTU
solution during somitogenesis and then raise them in the solution from
this point on.  If you take them out of the solution, melanin synthesis
can resume.

Two key things we have found to be important when suing PTU: 1) We make
this fresh every two weeks or so and keep it in a bottle wrapped in
foil. 2) You need to change the embryo media containing PTU everyday to
keep the melanin production down and the embryos happy and healthy.  (Of
course you have to remove all the dying embryos and debris too as you
would normally do.)

Hope this helps,
Becky

Rebecca D. Burdine, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Dept. of Molecular Biology
Princeton University
Washington Road Mof 433
Princeton, NJ 08544

Phone: (609) 258-7515
Fax: (609) 258-1343
Email: rburdine from princeton.edu
Admin Assistant: Cathy Falk (609) 258-1604