[Zbrafish] td-tomato vs mcherry as a red fluo reporter

Philippe Herbomel via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by herbomel from pasteur.fr)
Tue Oct 21 10:22:20 EST 2008

Dear All,

We are wondering about the best red fluorescent reporter to make
transgenic zebrafish with.
If one does not want to target the protein to a particular
compartment (membrane or nucleus), DsRed2, the most used presently,
is probably the best (very bright, with reasonable maturation time).
If otherwise, the most used presently is mCherry, which is quite (4-
fold) less bright.
Now from the Tsien lab papers' data, td-Tomato appears both much
(over 5-fold) brighter than mCherry, and still compatible with
membrane or nuclear targeting;
and indeed at least two papers then provided evidence that td-tomato
was not only far superior to mcherry but even to GFP (in terms of
brightness) as a reporter in transgenic mice.
Now surprisingly, when a colleague of us injected either mcherry or
tdtomato mRNA into 1-cell zebrafish embryos,
she found td-Tomato to be less bright than mcherry.
So my question is: has anyone found this too, and/or tried to make
transgenic zebrafish with td-Tomato as reporter ? And what about its
actual brightness (and decay upon illumination) in zebrafish embryos/
larvae, as compared to the mcherry and dsred2 ?

Thanks in advance for your testimonies on this.
I will post a summary of your responses !

Philippe Herbomel

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Philippe Herbomel
Unite Macrophages et Developpement de l'Immunite
Departement de Biologie du Developpement
Institut Pasteur
25 rue du Dr Roux, 75724 Paris cedex 15, France

tel. : 33 1 44 38 95 29   mobile: 33 6 73 35 74 20
fax : 33 1 45 68 89 21
http://www.pasteur.fr/recherche/RAR/RAR2006/Mdi-en.html
Change the world one loan at a time - visit Kiva.org to find out how