[Zbrafish] problems with spawning

Dr. S via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by sspinette from ric.edu)
Wed Sep 24 13:37:09 EST 2008

When we first set up our system over 2 years ago, we had a very
sucessfull year and a half, no disease, lots of great large healthy
collections. then suddenly things changed, fish got sick and stopped
spawning. We tried isolation, water chages etc. finally we gutted
everything and started fresh.

A coupl of months ago we started up 2 new fresh 20 gal tanks
(Biowheel). One for the males and one for the females. We had switched
to "conditioned" MilliQ water containing bicarbonate, instant ocean
and calcium sulphate such that our pH is between 7.2-7.4, our
conductivity is 400-450microS, our ammonia is o nitrite is 0 nitrate
is sometimes slighly measurable before we do the water change, temp is
27-28. we monitor these things every day. We do 10% water changes
daily and clean the tank very well every month, replacing 50% of the
water and the carbon filters. We feed the fish 2-3x per day artemia
and dry food from Aquatic Ecosystems that they claim is the best
formula. The fish look healthy although the males don't seem to eat as
much as the females. The females bellies are large but they are not
spawning at all. What else can we do? Please help.

Thank You