[Zbrafish] survey question: container/condition for fish awaiting genotype results

Timothy Mason via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by tmason from uoregon.edu)
Mon Aug 24 12:30:56 EST 2009

Hi,
I'm gathering information from research labs about the types of
containers used to hold fish awaiting genotyping results.
For example, a fish that undergoes a tail clip will necessarily need to
wait while its genotype is determined via PCR, or, fish that are crossed
to produce embryos used for a phenotype ID will need to wait somewhere
while the embryos develop the phenotype.
Where do you keep the fish?
Do you use static water containers? Which manufacturer? How much water?
Do you have containers that work with your water system to provide fresh
water to the fish while it waits for its result?

Here at the UO research facility we have developed a standard procedure
that allows researchers to keep fish in a plastic container (ZipLoc)
with roughly 32 US ounces (~946 ml) of static water for up to 5 days
while it waits for its result. We are reviewing this procedure and are
hoping to gather information about other best practices for this type of
husbandry procedure.

Thanks, in advance, for any help you can offer.

-Tim

--
Timothy Mason
UO Zebrafish Facility Manager