[Zbrafish] Re: survey question: container/condition for fish awaiting genotype results

Claudia via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by claudia_hohn from hotmail.com)
Tue Aug 25 10:31:06 EST 2009

On Aug 24, 12:30 pm, Timothy Mason <tma... from uoregon.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm gathering information from research labs about the types of
> containers used to hold fish awaiting genotyping results.
> For example, a fish that undergoes a tail clip will necessarily need to
> wait while its genotype is determined via PCR, or, fish that are crossed
> to produce embryos used for a phenotype ID will need to wait somewhere
> while the embryos develop the phenotype.
> Where do you keep the fish?
> Do you use static water containers? Which manufacturer? How much water?
> Do you have containers that work with your water system to provide fresh
> water to the fish while it waits for its result?
>
> Here at the UO research facility we have developed a standard procedure
> that allows researchers to keep fish in a plastic container (ZipLoc)
> with roughly 32 US ounces (~946 ml) of static water for up to 5 days
> while it waits for its result. We are reviewing this procedure and are
> hoping to gather information about other best practices for this type of
> husbandry procedure.
>
> Thanks, in advance, for any help you can offer.
>
> -Tim
>
> --
> Timothy Mason
> UO Zebrafish Facility Manager
> Eugene OR 97403
>
> phone: 541-346-4598http://fish.uoregon.edu

Hi Tim,
I hold one fish in a 1l plastic beaker with lid until results come in.
I cut a hole in the lid to fit a tubing with a pasteur pipette
attached for air supply. I also change the water once a day. If I did
tail clipping I add fungus eliminator to the static system to avoid
infections.

Claudia