[Zbrafish] Re: survey question: container/condition for fishawaiting genotype results

Burdine, Rebecca D via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by rburdine from Princeton.EDU)
Tue Aug 25 14:35:36 EST 2009

We seem to be on the lazy side of this.

We use plastic containers with lids that we purchase from FIsher Scientific.  We have two sizes, one is 2-3 liters (I think)  the other is more like 1/2 a liter.

We use the large one to hold pairs we are trying to ID. We usually leave a plastic plant in the container.  The smaller ones hold individual fish being evaluated by fin-clip and we do not include a plant.

In both cases, we fill the containers about 1/2 to 3/4 full with system water and put the lid on.  I was told it is important to have space for air exchange.

We don't change the water or do anything special until they go back into the system and we often leave our breeding pairs in the larger containers for up to five days.  Fin-clips are turned around in 24 hours.  On occasion, we may leave fish in fin clip containers for two days, but this makes me nervous.

We don't see a lot of death with this protocol.  In general, fish that die were either injured during mating or didn't recover from the Tricaine.

Becky

Rebecca D. Burdine, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Dept. of Molecular Biology
Princeton University
Washington Road Mof 433
Princeton, NJ 08544

Phone: (609) 258-7515
Fax: (609) 258-6730
Email: rburdine from princeton.edu
Admin Assistant: Anna Schmedel (609) 258-5028