[Zbrafish] Re: survey question: container/condition for fish awaiting genotype results

Adam Petrie via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by amp from stowers.org)
Tue Aug 25 22:43:03 EST 2009

On Aug 24, 12:30 pm, Timothy Mason <tma... from uoregon.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm gathering information from research labs about the types of
> containers used to hold fish awaiting genotyping results.
> For example, a fish that undergoes a tail clip will necessarily need to
> wait while its genotype is determined via PCR, or, fish that are crossed
> to produce embryos used for a phenotype ID will need to wait somewhere
> while the embryos develop the phenotype.
> Where do you keep the fish?
> Do you use static water containers? Which manufacturer? How much water?
> Do you have containers that work with your water system to provide fresh
> water to the fish while it waits for its result?
>
> Here at the UO research facility we have developed a standard procedure
> that allows researchers to keep fish in a plastic container (ZipLoc)
> with roughly 32 US ounces (~946 ml) of static water for up to 5 days
> while it waits for its result. We are reviewing this procedure and are
> hoping to gather information about other best practices for this type of
> husbandry procedure.
>
> Thanks, in advance, for any help you can offer.
>
> -Tim
>
> --
> Timothy Mason
> UO Zebrafish Facility Manager
> Eugene OR 97403
>
> phone: 541-346-4598http://fish.uoregon.edu

Most of the time, for holding fish pending ID, the fish are kept in
breeder cages made by Aquatic Habitats.

Depending on which room the fish are housed, it will either be a 2L
breeder cage that is filled about half-full with system water or a 1L
breeder cage filled nearly to the top. We may also keep two fish in
the cages. If so, both fish are from the same breeding/fin clipping,
they are opposite sexes, and a divider is used to keep them separate.
If the fish were spawned in the cages, we will reuse those cages for
the same fish after rinsing them out with system water.

The fish are fed live, freshly hatched Artemia the day they are placed
in the cages and once at mid-day thereafter. The water is exchanged
every other day until the fish are moved back to a fish system. For an
extended period, the cages are replaced and disinfected weekly.

Occasionally, a fish we need to hold separate is already being housed
individually (or with a fish of the opposite sex) in a system tank. In
this case, the fish is returned to its system tank and feeding is as
normal.

Thanks,

Adam Petrie
Laboratory Supervisor, Aquatics