[Zbrafish] Larval rearing

Tarini Prasad Sahoo via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by tarini.sahoo from jyu.fi)
Sun Feb 1 08:43:05 EST 2009

Hello everybody,
I am new to the world of zf breeding as new can be!
There was some success with getting the fish to spawn,but have had trouble
with raising the fry. I followed the following method:
-Day 0-6 the larvae were maintained in a 2L glass tray with no aeration.
-Day 6,instead of the recommended 25-30 fry per 100 ml(250 ml beaker), I
placed around 45 in 1L (2L beaker). No aeration here. Liquid diet (Nobil
fluid artemia,JBL)as a substitute for infusoria diet.
-On day 7, newly hatched artemia was given. No aeration here too,though
the water was changed.
-Day 8, 7 fry were found dead in the beaker, and the water was murky with
foul odour. I moved the fry to a new beaker (600 ml in 2L) and minimal
aeration through a glass pipette .

1.Would it be wise to resume the artemia diet only after regular aeration
in the container/tank?
2.How many days post-fert can the fry withstand aeration?

Since I have to use a static setup althrough,suggestions are welcome.
Thank you in advance.

Tarini Prasad Sahoo
M.Sc,PhD student
Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences
Survontie 9
University of Jyväskylä
Jyväskylä,FI-40014,Finland