[Zbrafish] breeding problems in winter??

Lawrence, Christian via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by Christian.Lawrence from childrens.harvard.edu)
Tue Feb 3 12:39:52 EST 2009

There should be no seasonal dependency of reproduction in controlled conditions.

If your females don't have "big bellies", they won't breed. You've got to get their bellies big again, so to speak - if you can.

It is likely that they have become senescent because of poor diet and/or static social conditions. Feed them a mixture of a live diet and processed feeds and mix and match holding conditions as much as possible.  Sex segregation is generally unnecessary.  They will still spawn when set up in pairs and this will help keep them cycling if you don't regularly breed them.

Long pauses between events are also not necessarily helpful.  Although you will find it in various places in the "literature" that zebrafish females need a resting period of up to 2 weeks between spawning events, this is not the case if they are in top reproductive condition.

Christian Lawrence
Aquatic Resources Program
Children's Hospital Boston
320 Longwood Avenue
Boston, MA 02115
617.919.2738 (office)
617.730.0836 (fax)
christian.lawrence from childrens.harvard.edu