[Zbrafish] (no subject)

April via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by april from zebrafish.org)
Tue Feb 10 15:15:14 EST 2009

Hi Tess,
Here is my recommendation for containing Coleps and/or any other
unwanted organisms.

1.  Bleach all of your eggs as soon as possible.  If needed, you can
reference the egg bleaching protocol found in The Zebrafish Book,
http://zfin.org/zf_info/zfbook/chapt3/3.2.html or on our website,
http://zebrafish.org/zirc/documents/protocols.php#Egg%20Bleaching.
2.  Be sure to remove ALL dead/damaged eggs before bleaching.
3.  After bleaching, keep your embryos in embryo media until they
have inflated their swim bladders and are swimming.  Zebrafish larvae
are the most susceptible when they have hatched, but not yet inflated
their swim bladders.  Once the larvae are able to swim properly, they
can fend off most organisms.

If you haven't already positively identified the organisms and would
like to, I recommend putting a few of these critters on a slide and
look at them under a compound microscope.  Coleps are quite small and
move in an intense twirling motion.  They have plates that cover
their exterior and make them look like hand grenades.  As you
mentioned, they are voracious and can consume an entire embryo in 45
minutes.

For future reference, I recommend obtaining a good protozoa picture
book/guide.  We have 2 older books that are quite helpful, however
you might be able to find some newer better books with even better
pictures and information.

- Patterson, D.J. (1996).  Free-Living Freshwater Protozoa (A Colour
Guide).  John Wiley & Sons Inc., New York, New York.
- Berk, S. G.; Gunderson, J. H (1993). Wastewater Organisms (A Color
Atlas).  CRC Press LLC.

If you continue to have problems, please let me know.

Very best,

April

On Feb 9, 2009, at 4:17 PM, Fresquez, Theresa, DCA wrote:

> Hello,
> Does anyone know how to get rid of coleps? They are eating my
> zebrafish babies.
> Thanks,
> Tess
>

> Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, including all attachments is
> for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain
> confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review,
> use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited unless specifically
> provided under the New Mexico Inspection of Public Records Act. If
> you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and
> destroy all copies of this message. -- This email has been scanned
> by the Sybari - Antigen Email System.

April R. Freeman (Mazanec)
ZIRC Manager
Zebrafish Int.'l Resource Center