[Zbrafish] cold weather shipping

Lawrence, Christian via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by Christian.Lawrence from childrens.harvard.edu)
Tue Jan 20 14:23:29 EST 2009

It's probably worth mentioning that as long as the eggs are properly packed (bleached, 1 dpf at ~ 1 embryo/ml in sealed conical tubes or tissue culture flasks wrapped in bubble wrap) inside sealed thick-walled styrofoam containers, no heating packs are necessary IF the fish are received within 24-36 hours after packing.   Beyond this, it can get a bit dicey.  But we routinely (on a nearly weekly basis) ship domestically without heat packs during cold weather months with no reported problems.  The embryos are remarkably tolerant of temperature swings.  This isn't too surprising given that zebrafish are among the most eurythermal fish species on record.

A useful little study would be to track temperatures inside sealed packing containers shipped to various locations at different times of year.  Perhaps ZIRC has this kind of data?

Christian Lawrence
Aquatic Resources Program
Children's Hospital Boston
320 Longwood Avenue
Boston, MA 02115
617.919.2738 (office)
617.730.0836 (fax)
christian.lawrence from childrens.harvard.edu