[Zbrafish] Here is an odd question for everyone

Burdine, Rebecca D via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by rburdine from Princeton.EDU)
Mon Mar 9 13:48:36 EST 2009

Hi all,
I had a rotation student start in my lab last week.  She just informed me that she is deathly allergic to shellfish and carries an Epi-pen at all times for this allergy.
Perhaps this should be obvious, but is she in potential danger being around a lab that routinely feeds shrimp to the fish?  I don't know enough about shellfish allergies to know if artemia is different allergen-wise, or if it has to be ingested in order to generate anaphylaxis?
I'd hate for her to waste her rotation, so I'd love to know what people think.  Would she be safe doing a 4-5 year PhD in a zebrafish lab if she has such a severe shellfish allergy?
Thanks for the help.
Rebecca D. Burdine, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Dept. of Molecular Biology
Princeton University
Washington Road Mof 433
Princeton, NJ 08544
Phone: (609) 258-7515
Fax: (609) 258-1343
Email: rburdine from princeton.edu
Admin Assistant: Anna Schmedel (609) 258-5028