[Zbrafish] Re Imaging Zebrafish

C Parkin via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by Caroline.Parkin from sheffield.ac.uk)
Wed May 27 03:11:54 EST 2009

Hi Sarah,

I also think the best way to image live fish is to put them in agarose - but
remember to use low melting point agarose - or you'll fry your fish! I tend to
melt a batch and put it in microtubes and keep it at 50C ready for use (either
hotblock or waterbath).  Don't add tricaine till you need it! I find mounting
fish when the agarose is ready is very quick.
Then it then depends if you have an upright or inverted scope.  For inverted I
like to use glass bottom mini petri dishes. For upright you can do the same and
turn it upside down or use a water immersion lens.
If you want to image lots of embryos on their side you could try a sideview
plate (google it) or a optically clear 96 well plate and spin them down at low
speed on a centrifuge - the majority should be laying on their side (all
dependant on age though - works best for 2-4 days old embryos, or older if the
swim bladder isn't inflated). This is only really suitable for an inverted
scope.
It is possible to use a silicone spacer (to make a small well) and put the
embryo in the well (in E3) and put a cover slip on top. But your fish might
move more and can't be left for a long time like this.

I hope that's helpful,
Caroline

http://www.bio.net/bionet/mm/zbrafish/attachments/20090523/6261d3cb/attachment-0001.bin