[Zbrafish] Cage washers and detergents

Richard Kollmar via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by richard.kollmar from downstate.edu)
Tue Sep 29 20:38:56 EST 2009

Dear All:

I would like to put used tanks, nets, etc. after mechanical cleaning
through the cage washer of our animal facility for sanitization. I am
worried, though, about the detrimental effects of detergents on fish
health. My previous institution had enough fish and frog labs to make
it worthwhile draining the cage washer once a week to sanitize our
equipment without detergent. In my new institution, this is unlikely
to happen since I am the only aquatics user and the cage washer is
already in use every day. Does anyone have suggestions or experience
how to deal with this situation? I really don't want to have to resort
to bleaching.

Thanks for any help,

Richard
--