[Zbrafish] Fish/larvae/juveniles mortality!

David G. White via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by dgw5079 from u.washington.edu)
Tue Aug 31 12:12:55 EST 2010

Hello, this is a unfortunate and odd situation, difficult to diagnose from a far. Given what you have told us I would lean towards an issue with the water. I am sure your keeping the fish water at known water quality parameters but is it fluctuating drastically with in those parameters or does your house/source water fluctuate particularly pH and conductivity/salinity? My first guess would be osmoregulatory stress, do the fish ever seem dizzy (disequilibrium)? On your multi-rack fish system does mortality seems to occur more on some racks versus others? Are you using a dosing system to control water parameters?   When your filling your nursery cups is the water the same, source and water quality? What is your typical dissolved oxygen readings? I would start testing water in different locations in a tank that recently died, in a tank that survived, in different sumps, your source water and your source water after its been conditioned for system water.

David G White
Research Coordinator
HSB Zebrafish Labs
University of Washington