[Zbrafish] Update on NIH-sponsored zebrafish ZFN project

Keith Joung via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by keith.joung from zincfingers.org)
Fri Dec 3 15:46:16 EST 2010

Dear all,

We write to update you on the status of our NIH-supported effort to
produce Zinc Finger Nucleases (ZFNs) targeted to zebrafish genes.  We
appreciate your patience as we have worked through the logistics of
identifying and then targeting 48 zebrafish genes requested by the
community.  At this point, we have successfully obtained zinc finger
array pairs by OPEN selections that can be used to construct ZFNs that
can potentially modify 19 different endogenous zebrafish genes (Group
I listed below).  We also know with certainty that we were not able to
obtain zinc finger array pairs for 13 zebrafish genes (Group II
below).  There are also 16 zebrafish genes for which we are still in
the process of determining whether we will have a pair of zinc finger
arrays that can be used as ZFNs (Group III below).  We anticipate
announcing the final results for zinc finger arrays targeted to the
genes in Group III in the next few weeks.

We have begun the process of depositing zinc finger arrays targeted to
sites in the Group I genes with the non-profit plasmid distribution
service Addgene (http://www.addgene.org/zfc).  We will send out
another notice when these zinc finger array clones become available
through Addgene in the next few weeks.

Before the end of December, we also plan to announce a second
solicitation for potential zebrafish genes to target with ZFNs.

With best regards,

Keith Joung
Joanna Yeh
Randy Peterson
Jeff Sander

Group I genes (ZF array pairs successfully obtained):

CACNA1F
xylt1
zgc:153086
PTRF/Cavin1
pitrm1
cftr
fox1 (a2bp1l)
hnf1a
VDAC2
dopamine beta hydroxylase (dbh)
mdka (midkine-related growth factor)
apoeb (apolipoprotein Eb)
dpf2
pitx2
zebrafish similar to gpr151 (or gpcr-2037)
Kif6
ldlr (low density lipoprotein receptor)
REST corepressor 2 (RCOR2)
cdkn1a (p21)

Group II genes (failed to obtain ZF array pairs):

KCNJ10 (Kir4.1)
ezh2
CD36
gpr126
zic2a
brachyury (bra)/ntlb
dvr1
fscn1l
iroquois homeobox protein 7 (irx7)
dkc1
tfe3a
CFTR, sub-family C, member 7)
bcl6a

Group III genes (final status of ZF arrays still to be determined):

Encephalopsin (Opn3)
NFATc1
Swachmann-Bodian-Diamond Syndrome gene, sbds
MeCP2
NRF2b (nfe2l2b)
DGCR8
CHD7 (chromodomain helicase DNA binding protein 7)
CACNA1D (2 of 2) or cav1.3b
vipr1
histamine receptor H3 (hrh3)
ppt2