[Zbrafish] Re: facilities- ionic strength

mason91 via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by masonfromohio from gmail.com)
Tue Dec 28 10:00:43 EST 2010

On Dec 26, 9:45 am, Adriana <esteve... from gmail.com> wrote:
> I am a beginner in this field and I am writing to you with a hope to
> receive an advice on the maintenance of the fishes in the aquarium. My
> question today is about the recommended ionic strength of the water.
> Thank you very much

Adriana,

If you search for the term "conductivity" in this group will you find
some good past posts on this topic.  People seem to keep their systems
at around 300-500 uS.  I use Instant Ocean in my system and fill a 15
ml conical tube to about the 2 ml line for every 9 liters of DI
water.  And I replace evaporated water with pure DI water.  That seems
to keep my system at about the correct conductivity.

The big issue I had when starting my system was a crash in pH down
below 6.0 that started to kill off my fish.  I now place bags of
crushed coral in the bottom of my sump, which keeps the pH constant at
just above 7.0.  I have been replacing the coral every year.  The
Zebrafish Book does not mention using coral or pH stabilization, but
you can also find a lot of information about it in this group.

Hope that helps,

Mason Posner
Professor of Biology
Ashland University