[Zbrafish] Re: Update on NIH-sponsored zebrafish ZFN project

Keith Joung via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by keith.joung from zincfingers.org)
Tue Dec 28 19:20:04 EST 2010

Dear all,

We write to provide an additional update on the status of our initial
effort to target 48 zebrafish genes requested by the community.

We now have determined that we have pairs of zinc finger arrays for
SIX additional genes.  These new arrays will be deposited with Addgene
in the next week or so.  With these additional arrays, we now have
successfully obtained zinc finger array pairs by OPEN selections that
can be used to construct ZFNs that can potentially modify 25 different
endogenous zebrafish genes (Group I listed below; new genes are shown
with an asterisk preceding them).  We also know with certainty that we
were not able to obtain zinc finger array pairs for 23 zebrafish genes
(Group II below).

Some of you asked why a gene you solicited did not end up on our
initial list of 48 target genes.  We refer you to an earlier e-mail in
which we described how we considered requests in the order in which
they were received and how we determined whether a gene was targetable
using OPEN selection.

We plan to send out a second solicitation for potential zebrafish
genes to target with ZFNs in the next day or so.

With best regards,

Keith Joung
Joanna Yeh
Randy Peterson
Jeff Sander

Group I genes (ZF array pairs successfully obtained):

CACNA1F
xylt1
zgc:153086
PTRF/Cavin1
pitrm1
cftr
fox1 (a2bp1l)
hnf1a
VDAC2
dopamine beta hydroxylase (dbh)
mdka (midkine-related growth factor)
apoeb (apolipoprotein Eb)
dpf2
pitx2
zebrafish similar to gpr151 (or gpcr-2037)
Kif6
ldlr (low density lipoprotein receptor)
REST corepressor 2 (RCOR2)
cdkn1a (p21)
Encephalopsin (Opn3)
NFATc1
CACNA1D (2 of 2) or cav1.3b
histamine receptor H3 (hrh3)
GUSB
Atg7

Group II genes (failed to obtain ZF array pairs):

KCNJ10 (Kir4.1)
ezh2
CD36
gpr126
zic2a
brachyury (bra)/ntlb
dvr1
fscn1l
iroquois homeobox protein 7 (irx7)
dkc1
tfe3a
CFTR, sub-family C, member 7)
bcl6a
Swachmann-Bodian-Diamond Syndrome gene, sbds
MeCP2
NRF2b (nfe2l2b)
DGCR8
CHD7 (chromodomain helicase DNA binding protein 7)
vipr1
ppt2
zfc:110773
Esr2b (estrogen receptor beta b)