[Zbrafish] Re: facilities- ionic strength

Adriana via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by esteves49 from gmail.com)
Fri Dec 31 10:11:04 EST 2010

On Dec 28, 1:00 pm, mason91 <masonfromo... from gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 26, 9:45 am, Adriana <esteve... from gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I am a beginner in this field and I am writing to you with a hope to
> > receive an advice on the maintenance of the fishes in the aquarium. My
> > question today is about the recommended ionic strength of the water.
> > Thank you very much
>
> Adriana,
>
> If you search for the term "conductivity" in this group will you find
> some good past posts on this topic.  People seem to keep their systems
> at around 300-500 uS.  I use Instant Ocean in my system and fill a 15
> ml conical tube to about the 2 ml line for every 9 liters of DI
> water.  And I replace evaporated water with pure DI water.  That seems
> to keep my system at about the correct conductivity.
>
> The big issue I had when starting my system was a crash in pH down
> below 6.0 that started to kill off my fish.  I now place bags of
> crushed coral in the bottom of my sump, which keeps the pH constant at
> just above 7.0.  I have been replacing the coral every year.  The
> Zebrafish Book does not mention using coral or pH stabilization, but
> you can also find a lot of information about it in this group.
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> Mason Posner
> Professor of Biology
> Ashland University
> mpos... from ashland.edu

Thank you very much for you advice. In my country I can't buy Instant
Ocean salts, so I am using "marine salts" I bought in a pet shop,
that's the reason I wanted to know the working ionic strength.
Do you also control N03 and NO2 content?
Sincerely yours,

A. Esteves
Biochemistry section
Faculty of Sciences