[Zbrafish] Re: fish breeding

Vishal via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by vsaxena5 from gmail.com)
Wed Jun 16 21:01:46 EST 2010

On Jun 16, 5:02 pm, judy <judy.ro... from otago.ac.nz> wrote:
> This is a two part question.  Does any lab have good data on the
> better way to house zfish gender-wise? We currently keep our male and
> female breeders together in the same tank and breed them not more than
> every 2 weeks. Is it more common to house males and females separately
> until time for breeding and maybe get better rates of both numbers of
> eggs laid in addition to pairs successfully laying? The second part is
> whether it is a common situation to have a female laying eggs before
> the breeding divider has been lifted?  We have now had at least 3
> strains where the female has laid eggs prior to having the centre
> breeding divider lifted.
>
> Many thanks,
> Judy Rodda
> Otago Zebrafish Facility Manager
> Pathology Department
> University of Otago
> Dunedin 9001
> NEW ZEALAND

Hi Judy,
I have an article I can send to you which shows that housing males and
females separately enhance the embryo production and embryo survival
rate as well. To answer your second question, we only have this
condition where female lays eggs before the separator has been lifted
when there is a mistake in identifying male and females. I mean if
there is a male with female on same side this situation can occur. I
hope this helps. Best regards, Vishal