[Zbrafish] Maximizing sperm volume

finchg from ohsu.edu via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by gabefinch from gmail.com)
Fri Nov 19 17:52:01 EST 2010

Greetings fellow nerds,
I am trying to get sperm cryopreservation working in my lab.  I am
following the Moens/Draper protocol, but consistently get too small a
volume of sperm.  I trained for sperm squeezing at another facility
and during training was able to squeeze sufficiant volumes, therefore
I have reason to believe that the fish in our facility just have low
sperm levels.  We also have issues with good old fashioned mating.

Anyone have any insight into what kinds of variables might improve
sperm production?  Obviously I'm interested in diets that folks feel
produce high sperm volumes, but also anything else I may be
overlooking.

Gabe Finch
Nicolson Lab
Oregon Health and Sciences University