[Zbrafish] Software for DNA/Protein analysis

Chi-Bin Chien via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by chi-bin.chien from neuro.utah.edu)
Tue Oct 19 15:07:08 EST 2010

Hi Becky,

I very much like ApE (A plasmid Editor), which is freeware from Wayne
Davis in Erik Jorgensen's lab:
http://biologylabs.utah.edu/jorgensen/wayned/ape/
It runs on Windows or Mac, and is excellent for designing subcloning
strategies. It is very good showing useful restriction sites, and can
calculate Gateway reactions (even 3- or 4-insert LR reactions). It can
import Genbank-format files with features; lets you specify features
by hand; can automatically recognize features based on a template
file; and draws nice graphical maps.

There are some alignment tools that I haven't learned to use. Doesn't
do things like ClustalW alignments.
Still, it does nearly all of my day-to-day molecular biology work, and
you can't beat the price.

Chi-Bin