[Zbrafish] Stability of zebrafish GFP transgenics

Chi-Bin Chien via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by chi-bin.chien from neuro.utah.edu)
Thu Oct 28 13:47:00 EST 2010

Hi Alice,

Unfortunately this kind of silencing seems to be relatively common for
transgenics; its cause is likely epigenetic (e.g. methylation), and
may vary in degree depending on the construct and insertion site. See
for instance Goll et al. (2009) Genetics 182:747-55.

The good news is, since it's epigenetic it is partly heritable. If you
do select the brightest embryos at every generation (as we do), you
can maintain most lines in good shape for many generations.

Chi-Bin Chien

< Dept. Neurobiology and Anatomy |       office: 1-801-585-1701 >
< Univ. Utah Medical Center      |          lab: 1-801-585-1702 >
< 20 North 1900 East, 401 MREB   |          fax: 1-801-581-4233 >
< Salt Lake City, UT  84132      | chi-bin.chien from neuro.utah.edu >
< http://chien.neuro.utah.edu                                   >