[Zbrafish] Sperm freezing for strain maintenance?

Burdine, Rebecca D via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by rburdine from Princeton.EDU)
Mon Sep 27 12:34:33 EST 2010

Hi,

I am wondering how many of you actually freeze sperm to maintain
strains?  We are now in the position of having more strains that we
really want to maintain, but we are reluctant to let some of them go in
case we ever need them again.

In addition, I have already had one maintenance nightmare where a room
was flooded with bleach and ozone (not compatible to fish health if you
were wondering).  If something like that happened to my room with our
mutants, I would be running a bookstore in upstate Vermont.

So...how reasonable is this to do?  How long do the stocks last and how
often should they be tested/replenished?

Becky

Rebecca D. Burdine, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor

Dept. of Molecular Biology

Princeton University

Washington Road Mof 433

Princeton, NJ 08544

Phone: (609) 258-7515

Fax: (609) 258-6730

Email: rburdine from princeton.edu <mailto:rburdine from princeton.edu>

Admin Assistant: Anna Schmedel (609) 258-5028