[Zbrafish] Back once more for IACUC help

Burdine, Rebecca D via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by rburdine from Princeton.EDU)
Sun Feb 20 13:17:23 EST 2011

Hi everyone,

I'm getting some flack from IACUC again and would like some idea of what others do with these issues.

1)     Does anyone know when we consider zebrafish to have formed a true backbone?  In other words, when you do have to count them in your usage totals?

2)     On that note, what do people do about usage numbers?  If I count everything that is born and dies from hatching, these number are going to be astronomical.  Do people just submit incredibly large usage numbers?

3)     How do people euthanize their zebrafish?  We use ice water followed by deep freezing, and I had this set with IACUC previously and had some references to back it up, but there is a new sheriff in town and they aren't happy again.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Becky

Rebecca D. Burdine, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Dept. of Molecular Biology
Princeton University
Washington Road Mof 433
Princeton, NJ 08544

Phone: (609) 258-7515
Fax: (609) 258-6730
Email: rburdine from princeton.edu<mailto:rburdine from princeton.edu>
Admin Assistant: Anna Schmedel (609) 258-5028