[Zbrafish] Re: Back once more for IACUC help

Claudia via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by claudia_hohn from hotmail.com)
Tue Feb 22 09:45:15 EST 2011

On Feb 20, 12:17 pm, "Burdine, Rebecca D" <rburd... from Princeton.EDU>
wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm getting some flack from IACUC again and would like some idea of what others do with these issues.
>
> 1)     Does anyone know when we consider zebrafish to have formed a true backbone?  In other words, when you do have to count them in your usage totals?
>
> 2)     On that note, what do people do about usage numbers?  If I count everything that is born and dies from hatching, these number are going to be astronomical.  Do people just submit incredibly large usage numbers?
>
> 3)     How do people euthanize their zebrafish?  We use ice water followed by deep freezing, and I had this set with IACUC previously and had some references to back it up, but there is a new sheriff in town and they aren't happy again.  Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Becky

> Rebecca D. Burdine, Ph.D.
> Assistant Professor
> Dept. of Molecular Biology
> Princeton University
> Washington Road Mof 433
> Princeton, NJ 08544
>
> Phone: (609) 258-7515
> Fax: (609) 258-6730
> Email: rburd... from princeton.edu<mailto:rburd... from princeton.edu>
> Admin Assistant: Anna Schmedel (609) 258-5028

Hi Rebecca,
we count fish for the first time 30 dph and that is also what we
report. Embryos (unhatched fish) do not fall under IACUC protocol at
my university. We use MS222 to either sedate fish (injections etc.) or
a higher dosage for euthanization and that is common protocol for most
aquatic animals and widely accepted by IACUC. Ice water is a rather
cruel method even though still widely used. There is a good recipe in
the zebrafish book on how to make a pH balanced MS222 solution I
follow that and had no problems. Benzocain is also accepted for
sedation/euthanization but it dissolves not as easy and I find it
harder to work with.
Hope this helps,
Claudia