[Zbrafish] Re: Back once more for IACUC help

Angela Lawton via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by a.lawton from imb.uq.edu.au)
Thu Feb 24 14:34:32 EST 2011

How about this paper?- It’s not zebrafish, but another small bodied tropical fish, and supports the ice-slurry method.

Humane killing of fishes for scientific research:
a comparison of two methods
J. J. Blessing*†, J. C. Marshall* and S. R. Balcombe‡
Journal of Fish Biology (2010) 76, 2571–2577

I’d like to see the paper that shows that an ice slurry (2-3 C at the coldest) can form ice crystals (0 or lower) inside a fish. Is there a reference for this? It seems to defy the physics of heat transfer to think that this can happen.

Angela

________________________________
From: zbrafish-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu [mailto:zbrafish-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu] On Behalf Of Burdine, Rebecca D
Sent: Thursday, 24 February 2011 5:15 AM
To: Rachel Tell; zbrafish from oat.bio.indiana.edu
Subject: RE: [Zbrafish] Re: Back once more for IACUC help

Hi everyone,

Please keep the answers coming both on and offline!  I can summarize what I hear on this for the entire list.

I did want to comment on the euthanasia issue. I recognize that MS-222 is commonly advocated, but I have resisted for a few reasons that are admittedly not scientific, but from personal observations.

1 – It is impossible for me to imagine under any circumstance how instant death (ice water submersion) isn’t preferable to suffocating to death without being able to move (MS-222).  I have a hard time euthanizing anything because I am just that much of a wimp. But if I have to, I want the fish to be dead instantly.

2 – I have personally seen fish sitting in MS-222 for really long periods of time recover.  So I shudder to think of fish having sat in MS-222 but not died, then being put into a freezer or garbage disposal.

3 – I have never seen a fish recover from being put into ice water.  (We make an ice slurry with ice and water, move the ice back to make a water pocket, with no ice, and put the fish into that so they don’t touch the ice.)

That’s just me, and it’s hard to argue with the AVMA.

But this paper does a pretty good job of it.  I have had it forwarded to me several time in this discussion and wanted to be sure everyone had the reference.

Thanks again for all the help!!

Becky

1. J Am Assoc Lab Anim Sci. 2009 Nov;48(6):785-9.

Evaluation of rapid cooling and tricaine methanesulfonate (MS222) as methods of
euthanasia in zebrafish (Danio rerio).

Wilson JM, Bunte RM, Carty AJ.

University Laboratory Animal Resources, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia,
Pennsylvania, USA. jolainer from upenn.edu

Despite the progressively increasing use of zebrafish (Danio rerio) in research,
the most humane method of euthanasia for these fish has not been determined.
Contemporary guidance documents state that hypothermia is an unacceptable method
of euthanasia. The goal of this study was to compare rapid cooling and tricaine
methanesulfonate (MS222) for zebrafish euthanasia. Zebrafish (n = 46) were
euthanized by immersion in either an ice-water (4 degrees C or less) bath or
unbuffered MS222 solution (250 mg/L; 25 to 30 degrees C). Another cohort (n = 10)
was exposed to buffered MS222 to determine whether the acidity of the water alone
caused distress. The times from exposure until the animals became unable to swim,
right themselves, and death were measured, and signs of distress were recorded.
Fish then were placed in a 'recovery tank' of system water to verify that
recovery did not occur. Tissues were examined histologically. The mean time for
euthanasia was longer and the number of fish exhibiting signs of distress was
greater for fish exposed to MS222 than those exposed to chilled water. In
addition, 4 of the 23 fish exposed to MS222 regained consciousness in the
recovery tank, whereas none of 23 fish exposed to chilled water recovered. No
histopathologic changes or evidence of ice crystal formation were seen in either
group. In light of the faster time to death and fewer signs of distress in
zebrafish euthanized by rapid cooling, we advocate this method as a humane
veterinary practice.

PMCID: PMC2786934
PMID: 19930828 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Rebecca D. Burdine, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Dept. of Molecular Biology
Princeton University