[Zbrafish] Re: Wildtypes?

Burdine, Rebecca D via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by rburdine from Princeton.EDU)
Tue Jan 4 14:28:02 EST 2011

We use RO water in our facility and add salts and bicarb to make system water.  Our RO water system for the building needed servicing.  We had a policy in place where they first shut off the lines to the building and the fish room BEFORE servicing.  But they forgot to shut off the lines to the fish rooms.  One of our rooms was flooded with bleach and ozone.  Not compatible for fish health and happiness if you were curious.

Thankfully our other room (with all of my mutant strains) had a reservoir before the tanks and we caught this before the cleaning solution hit the tanks.  We lost thousands of fish, but mainly wildtype and babies.

Now we have a sensor on our RO supply line that shuts off the line if it detects anything in the RO above set ppm cutoff.

Thankfully, ZIRC had us up a running in just a few months.

Becky

Rebecca D. Burdine, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Dept. of Molecular Biology
Princeton University
Washington Road Mof 433
Princeton, NJ 08544

Phone: (609) 258-7515
Fax: (609) 258-6730
Email: rburdine from princeton.edu
Admin Assistant: Anna Schmedel (609) 258-5028