[Zbrafish] squeezing females

Marie Winandy via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by marie.winandy from gmail.com)
Mon Jan 10 03:33:37 EST 2011

Hi all,

Since several weeks I make in vitro fecondation of zebrafish as learned
at the ZIRC.

This week I was not successfull at all in squeezing females. Only 2 in
25 gave eggs, and the clutches were poor or mixed quality. Most of time
they didn't release any egg, and did not recover well from anesthesia.
I keep the females away from the males 1 or 2 days before squeezing.
All females from this group had normal shape and behaviour, were less
than 1 year old and looked healthy. I'm pretty sure that if I'd made
natural fertilisation, at least one third would have given eggs.

Does someone in the list have a tip to increase egg release, either in
conditionning the fish, diet, or handling, ....?

Thank you very much in advance

Marie Winandy
GIGA Research Institute
Universite de Liege, Belgium