[Zbrafish] PhD project in axonal degeneration

Isabell Witt via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by isabell.witt from uni-koeln.de)
Mon Jan 24 08:33:59 EST 2011

PhD Student position available in the group of Elena Rugarli,
University of Cologne-Biocenter

Our group studies the mechanisms underlying axonal degeneration, a process
that occurs in
several common neurodegenerative diseases, and correlates with the onset of
symptoms. We
focus on the pathogenic mechanisms underlying hereditary spastic paraplegia
and
spinocerebellar ataxias, two model diseases to study axonal degeneration.
Mitochondrial
proteases involved in protein quality control have been linked to these
diseases. The project
aims at identifying the pathogenic mechanism leading from impaired
mitochondrial proteolysis
to axonal and neuronal degeneration using already available mouse models.
The successful
candidate must have a degree (master/diploma) in science (e.g. biology,
biochemistry or
chemistry) and a strong research interest in neuroscience. Candidates with
previous experience
in neurobiology and/or mouse genetics are strongly encouraged to apply. For
application,
please send your complete CV and the contact details of two potential
referees by email to
Elena Rugarli (elena.rugarli from uni-koeln.de).
Web site:
http://www.uni-koeln.de/math-nat-fak/zoologie/tierphysiologie/rugarli/Welcom
e.html
Relevant bibliography:
Ehses S., Raschke I., Mancuso M., Bernacchia A., Geimer S., Tondera D.,
Martinou J-C., Westermann
B., Rugarli E.I., Langer T. Regulation of mitochondrial fusion and OPA1
processing by m-AAA protease
isoenzymes and OMA1. J. Cell Biol., 187, 1023-36, 2009.
Martinelli P, La Mattina V, Bernacchia A, Magnoni R, Cerri F, Cox G,
Quattrini A, Casari G, Rugarli EI.
Genetic interaction between the m-AAA protease isoenzymes reveals novel
roles in cerebellar
degeneration. Hum. Mol. Genet. 18, 2001-2013, 2009
Pirozzi M., Quattrini A., Andolfi G., Dina G., Malaguti M.C., Auricchio A.,
Rugarli E.I. Intramuscular viral
delivery of paraplegin rescues peripheral axonopathy in a model of
hereditary spastic paraplegia. J. Clin.
Invest., 116, 202-208, 2006.
Ferreirinha F., Quattrini A., Pirozzi M., Valsecchi V., Dina G., Broccoli
V., Auricchio A., Piemonte F., Tozzi
G., Gaeta L., Casari G., Ballabio A., Rugarli E.I. Axonal degeneration in
paraplegin-deficient mice is
associated with abnormal mitochondria and impairment of axonal transport, J.
Clin. Invest., 113, 231-42,
2004.