[Zbrafish] Juveniles and adults with open gills!

Bill Trevarrow via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by trevarro from uoneuro.uoregon.edu)
Tue Mar 29 14:22:36 EST 2011

The operculum may be deformed (often folded forward instead of lying flat against the body) due to mutations in the genetic line, due to poor nutrition, or due to poor water quality during development. If you have a variety genetic backgrounds, you may see differences in this among them.

Another possibility I have seen is a lack of pigmentation on the operculum allowing the red of the gills to show through. This can look like deformed operculum at first glance. It might not be a problem unless the pigmentation condition is undesired.