[Zbrafish] Food Withholding in Zebrafish whilst Off-system

Burdine, Rebecca D. via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by rburdine from Princeton.EDU)
Tue Nov 1 10:27:42 EST 2011

I'd be interested in any feedback you get on this Diana.

I've been told by every aquaculturist I hire that we way overfeed our fish in general.  I get squeamish about cutting down feeds because I am convinced fish won't lay, but my current manager convinced me to do so and it hasn't affected egg production at all.

We feed adults once a day with a mixed food. Babies and Juveniles are feed three to four times per day because we need them to grow.  We do give a shrimp feed to fish we want to produce regularly in the afternoon but it isn't necessary.  Fish being fed once a day usually produce very well when we set them up, even if they haven't been set up for weeks.

That being said, we typically don't feed fish off-system at all, but we also restrict them being off system for more than three days.  After that we recommend putting them in 1L tanks and back on the system.  But I STRONGLY encourage people to do finclip and genotyping in 24-48 hours and this typically happens.

Is there a reason the researcher doesn't want the fish fed?  If you are going to do the feeding and water changing, I am not sure why it is an issue?  WE don't do it because it's a lot more work and we might lose fish in the water changing if we aren't careful.

Becky

Rebecca D. Burdine, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Dept. of Molecular Biology