[Zbrafish] Food Withholding in Zebrafish whilst Off-system

Sahar Tavakoli via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by sahartawakoli from yahoo.com)
Tue Nov 1 00:47:10 EST 2011

Dear Diana,

In my own experiments the fish were starving for 14 days and still they were normal. During the first few days I changed the water every days. But after 3-4 days, as their digestive system is empty, you may change the water every 3 days.

Best,

Sahar

--- On Tue, 11/1/11, Diana <dpb from stowers.org> wrote:

From: Diana <dpb from stowers.org>
Subject: [Zbrafish] Food Withholding in Zebrafish whilst Off-system
To: bionet-organisms-zebrafish from moderators.isc.org
Date: Tuesday, November 1, 2011, 5:55 AM

Hello All,

We have a researcher who would like us to not feed the fish housed off-
system. This involves fish held individually in breeding cages pending
identification following either observation of embryo phenotype
produced, or genotyping results after being fin clipped.
Since some of the phenotypes do not appear until day 4 or 5 and some
individuals take longer to perform the genotyping than others this
would involve some fish not being fed for 5 days.

I have been asked to find out what is common practice in the field.

In the past, we have always fed fish housed off-system every day, but
only one feeding instead of their normal three. We also perform water
changes.

In your zebrafish colonies:
1) Are there guidelines as to how long can fish be held off-system?
2) Are the fish fed whilst off-system? If so, what frequency?
3) Is the water changed whilst off-system? If so, what frequency?

I am also interested in hearing personal observations, opinions, and
direction to any peer-reviewed literature that comments on extensive
food-withholding in zebrafish. I would really appreciate hearing back
with your collective wisdom.

With Best Wishes, Diana

Diana Baumann
Stowers Institute for Medical Research